Dark Triumph

Dark Triumph - Robin LaFevers This review may contain spoilers so if you have not read the first book I suggest you do so before continuing and plus if you not have read the first book in this series you need to because you are missing out. This novel is from the point of view of Sybella. I thought it would be from the point of view of Ismae but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the story was going to be from a different character's point of view (I also found out book three will be the same. Yay!). Sybella is a character that was significant in Grave Mercy but her history was not fully revealed. There were pieces of the puzzle given but not enough to get a real feel where of who she was and how she came to serve Death. This book goes into detail on how Sybella came to become the girl who came to the covenant half mad with grief and despair. Sybella has a lot more secrets that even the covenant was aware of which are revealed in bits and pieces throughout the novel. Sybella has a lot from her past she would prefer that none in her life would find out but sadly her sense of security slows starts to crash down around her.Characters from the first book in the series did make an appearance again. The one I have to point of of course is Beast. I absolutely love him and I totally squealed when he appeared in this book. I have no shame admitting that. I loved every mention of him, I want more Beast. He is my favorite character. Legit. Ismae is also back which makes me happy. I loved her as a character and I am grateful the story brings her back.The plot is a continuation from the first novel. The duchess is in danger, and Beast will stop at nothing to protect her. There is also romance. Beast finds love. Finally. I could write an entire review just about how much I love Beast, he plays a large part in this novel and him and Sybella have some major chemistry which usually ends with her being sarcastic to him. Sybella wants to trust him but her past makes her weary of trusting anyone. The story had a smooth transition from one book to the next, the only transition that was noticeable was the change in point of view. This book felt like a continuation of the first novel and I never felt like I was lost.